Friday, June 3, 2011

A Giant Guide to Must-Have Summer Products

Summer is just around the corner which means it's going to be hot (some places hotter than others) and I've compiled so many products for you so your skin and hair don't have to suffer through the heat (I've also added in a couple fun things). I will also state which products I personally recommend because I use them and work great for me (also a side note, for people who want to know I have oily, acne prone skin and extremely picky skin at that, so if you have that type of skin, I definitely recommend those specific products for you so look out for them!) If you also choose to go organic this summer, I've included a few products for you and if you're not sure if you want to go organic, here's an article for you! Also, if you don't have much money to spend here are a few DIY's for skin care and I also recommend going through the DIY archives at Beautylish, there's a lot of ways to DIY a lot of things :)


Starting off with the obvious, sunscreen is something everyone should use, especially during summer. I have a few tips when choosing a sunscreen; a lot of cheap sunscreens clog your pores, aren't right for your skin type, and/or don't provide the protection you need. Did you know that the FDA doesn't regulate sunscreens? That means the companies can put in whatever ingredients and trick you into thinking that it's right for your skin. I've signed up for emails from the Environmental Working Group which provides a lot of information about a lot of beauty products on the market and more. I received an email about sunscreen and here is where you can look up the best sunscreen there is that provides you with the protection you need (the ones above are on that list). Remember to reapply throughout the day!

The second most obvious -- lip balm with SPF. You should also keep your lips protected because they burn easily and personally, I do not look good with burned lips. Which is why I always have chap stick/lip balm with me.

Blotting Tissues. I think that everyone should have these because they're great to wipe away any excess oils during the day. I personally recommend the Boscia one's from Sephora. They're infused with green tea, so it helps calm the red acne I sometimes get. I actually got two of them for free, as samples, but when I'm done with them I'm definitely purchasing more.

I added these in here just for fun. Nail polish is fun and these colors are definitely spring-y and also summer-y. I personally recommend the lavender e.l.f. nail polish (it's only $1!). I was excited about it before I first tried it but also nervous because I wasn't sure how it would look with my skin tone (I have an olive based skin tone) but I thought it looked gorgeous! I have received so many compliments on it. Ever since the other day, I've been dying to try that Essie nail polish (in Tart Deco) because I watched this video (it's around 4:06) and she said it came out to be kind of a tangerine-ish pink color and I thought it sounded gorgeous so I wanted to go try it and then I'll tell you guys about it! I've tried the Sally Hansen Salon Effects, just not in that specific color, and I thought it was alright but it peels off easily like if you're running your fingers through your hair, the strands can get caught between your nail and the nail polish.


Highlighter brightens your face up and makes your skin look dewy. I definitely recommend this for people with a dull complexion. If you have acne prone skin like I do, I recommend the Body Shop one because it's not too thick or cake-y and contains aloe vera to soothe your skin.


While on the subject of brightening up skin, you should exfoliate your skin at least twice a week. I personally recommend Garnier Nutritioniste because the micro beads aren't harsh and my skin always feels clean and smooth after I use it. I've heard a lot of great things about Laura Mercier products so I figured it would be something great to include.


While still being on the subject of brighter skin, night creams work wonders. I've heard from numerous places that you should skip the day cream because during the night is when your body heals itself and whatever is on your skin, it absorbs quicker and deeper while you're sleeping. Although I haven't tried those two specific Yes to (carrots or blueberries), I do recommend using them because I have tried a few of their products and I love them. 

Vitamins? Yes. These vitamins and oils are vital to beautiful skin. Flaxseed and Fish oil have omega-3's which reduces inflammation, moisturizes our skin, and improves skin firmness. Vitamin E aids natural UVA blockage in your skin and works with your sunscreen to improve the blockage of those harmful rays. Vitamin C does exactly the same thing but also brightens your skin up and helps strengthen your immune system. I personally recommend all of these products but if you're vegetarian (or vegan) like me or don't like the fish-y taste, take flaxseed oil instead of fish oil (same benefits except flaxseed oil doesn't have the taste of fish). You can find all of these at your local natural foods store, grocery store, GNC, any place that sells vitamins. But you should also be careful with these because vitamins and supplements do not need approval from the FDA before they are marketed. So you can get these vitamins and oils from foods.

JoJoba Oil is great for your skin, hair, lips, etc. You can find this at any grocery store, natural foods store, etc. It's a natural moisturizer and it is theorized that the oil is similar to our skin's natural oil so using it can trick your skin into thinking that it's produced enough oil (read up on it here). I have oily skin and I've used this for about a few months now and I'm still on the same bottle. You don't need all that much, it can be a little expensive depending where you buy it but since you don't need that much, it lasts awhile. My skin doesn't feel all that oily all day and even if it does, I just take the excess off with the blotting tissues.

If you don't want to take vitamins, here is another alternative for getting the vitamins you need for healthy skin. These are for the eyes though because if you have dark circles underneath your eyes or just want to fight premature aging. The vitamin C cream isn't specifically for your eyes, but you could still use it for your eyes anyway because it really brightens up the skin around your eyes.


I have not personally used Moroccan oil for my hair but I've heard really great things about it. I think it's perfect for taming frizzy hair, especially when it's hot and humid out.

If you don't live near a beach or just want to obtain that beach-y look with your hair then you should use a sea salt spray to get those beach-y waves without getting frizzy hair. If you don't want to spend $10-16, then make your own!
 










No comments:

Post a Comment